This, a 19 year old ex-cheerleader (now an Air Force Security
Forces Sniper) was watching a road that led to a NATO military base when she observed a man digging by the road, she engaged the target (i.e. she shot him). AND it turned out he was a bomb maker for the Taliban , and he was burying an IED that was to be detonated when a Canadian patrol walked by 30 minutes later.
It would certainly have killed and wounded several soldiers.
The interesting fact of this story is the shot was fired from 725 yards!
(Folks, that’s a shot 25 yards longer than seven football fields!)
She shot him as he was bent over burying the bomb. The shot went through his butt and into the bomb which detonated; he was blown to pieces. And the last thing that came out of his mouth .. Was his ass!
The Air Force made a motivational poster of her:
That was Canada.
If that had happened in present day India, the following would be the aftermath.
1. J&K state declares ‘hartal’ and violent demonstrations follow.
2. Civil Right Groups demand an inquiry.
3. Teesta Setalwad says the man was just answering nature’s call and files a case against Modi accusing him of ordering the fire.
4. M F Hussain will draw a bare butt of the sniper to honour the slain victim. “The Hindu” will hail Hussain’s freedom and artistry.
5. Barkha Dutt, Rajdeep Sardesai, Prannoy Roy and others will debate for a week whether it was right to fire at the butt.
6. The Air force sniper faces departmental enquiry and suspension.
7. And, of course, Manmohan loses a night’s sleep and declares a compensation of Rs.10 lakhs to the victim’s family.